giovedì 15 agosto 2013

Stage One: Buenos Aires

Hi! Here I am! After a 17 hour flight I got to Buenos Aires, which is my first stop. The city is so extended that even from the window of the plane I couldn't see the end of it. The first impact was quite "cold"...being winter and windy I was hit by the low temperature in the first place...not too bad though...I already got used to be back in winter, as in Zurich wasn´t much better until a couple of weeks ago :-)

Today I had my first intensive day visiting the city and discovering some dark part of the Argentinian history. I was surprised to discover that cemeteries are quite "popular" and very important here. Basically, the cemetery "La Recoleta" is the third most important in the world...guess where it is the most important one...I didn´t have a clue but I discoverd it to be in Italy! Well, I thought we, Italians, were famous for food and soccer, Venice and Rome, maybe for our fame of being "latin lovers" but surely not for having the most interesting cemetery in the world :-)...by the way, in this cemetery in Buenos Aires I visited the tumb of Miss Maria Eva Duarte, better known as: Evita Peron.



A very funny moment was when I met a Colombian guy during the guided tour in the cemetery who was convinced that I was speaking Latin...and when the guide started explaining him what Latin is, he corrected her saying that "Latino" is the language people speak in South America and therefore the words written on the tumbs, which came completely new to him, must be a common European language called...Italian... :-) That's why I've never thought about studying Latin in the school...I was already able to speak it :)

Then it was time to walk to the Plaza de Mayo, where I could assist to one of the most sad but strong event which takes place every Thursday in Buenos Aires since 1977: Las Madres de Plaza de Mayo, walk across the square in front of the President house calling the name of each person, who disapperaed during the dictatorship of the militaries, which took place from the 1976 to the 1983. During this period of time about 30'000 people were arrested or kidnapped from the militaries and literally disappeard. These people are known here as "Los desaparecidos". Las madres the plaza de mayo started to investigate and make noise to force the generals to say the truth about the destiny of their children. They are still going on with their fight.



Well, enough of history for today, I don´t want to become too boring now. 

I'll keep informed about what will happen!

Take care and, my students, keep studing Latin, so that you can then go to Italy and talk to people :)

Bye!

1 commento:

  1. Me alegro mucho, que aunque hables "latín"/"italiano", o tengas problemas con el español!!! :)

    RispondiElimina